Los Angeles Used Car Lemons
Pursuing Remedies Under the Lemon Law
A "lemon" car has significant defects that affect its safety, value, or usefulness, and the problem cannot be repaired despite multiple repair attempts by the manufacturer or dealer. Lemon cars can cause financial and safety concerns for their owners. The issue of used car lemons is particularly prevalent in Los Angeles, where thousands of pre-owned vehicles are bought and sold yearly. Unfortunately, some of these cars are sold without proper disclosures of known defects, leaving unsuspecting consumers with unexpected repair costs and safety hazards. The good news is the Lemon Law can protect consumers in certain situations. Knowing your rights is crucial when purchasing a used car and seeking remedies if an issue exists with your vehicle.
At O’Connor Law Group, P.C., we have extensive experience representing consumers in Los Angeles in used car lemon law cases. Our attorneys listen to our clients, review all relevant documents, and take the time to develop a customized legal strategy. Skilled negotiators and litigators, we are prepared to seek just outcomes inside or outside the courtroom free of charge.
What Is a Lemon Car?
A vehicle may be a lemon if it has one or more issues that multiple repair attempts cannot resolve. Laws exist to protect consumers in this situation.
The California Lemon Law requires manufacturers to replace or repurchase vehicles that meet specific criteria, including the following:
- The vehicle has a defect(s) that substantially impairs its use, value, or safety.
- The manufacturer's warranty covers the defect(s).
- The manufacturer has made a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect(s) but has been unsuccessful.
Does the Lemon Law Apply to Used Cars?
If you purchase a used vehicle and it has a substantial defect that cannot be repaired after a reasonable number of attempts, you may be entitled to a replacement or a refund. To qualify, the vehicle must be covered under warranty. This can be a manufacturer's warranty, a dealer's warranty, or even an implied warranty that constitutes an unwritten promise that the car will function as it was intended. It must have been presented for repair more than one time under warranty.
Used vehicles can also qualify for lemon law protection. This includes:
- Certified Pre-Owned vehicles
- Vehicles sold with a dealership warranty, such as CarMax or Carvana
- Other used vehicles may apply under certain conditions
How to File a Used Car Lemon Claim in Los Angeles
If you have purchased a used car in Los Angeles that turns out to be a lemon, you may be entitled to compensation or a replacement vehicle under the California Lemon Law.
Below are steps you can take to prepare for your claim:
- Collect Evidence: To file a lemon law claim, you must have evidence that the car has a significant defect that substantially impairs its use, value, or safety. This evidence should include all invoices, work orders, and receipts for the repairs made by the manufacturer or dealer. Keep a detailed record of all communication with the manufacturer or dealer regarding the repairs.
- Attempt Repairs: Before filing a claim, you must have made reasonable attempts to have the issue repaired. You should have taken the car to the manufacturer or dealer for repairs more than one time, but the problem persisted despite their efforts.
- Consult with an Attorney: It's essential to consult with an experienced lemon law attorney before taking action. attorney can help you negotiate a settlement or represent you in court if necessary.
- File a Claim: To file a claim, your attorney will send a written notice, called a Complaint, to the manufacturer outlining the defects and the attempts made to repair them. You may pursue several avenues to seek remedies, such as litigation or through trial if you are unable to get a remedy initially.
Get Legal Representation for Your Case
Purchasing a used car lemon in Los Angeles can be a frustrating and costly experience. Still, you may have legal protections and remedies available. An attorney can help you navigate the claims process and safeguard your rights.
At O’Connor Law Group, P.C., we can evaluate your case and help determine your legal options. Contact us at (949) 390-9695.
Can My Case Be Resolved Without Having to go Through Formal Court Proceedings?In some cases, yes. The manufacturers have no incentive to engage in costly litigation for a case they believe they will lose. As such, some of our cases are resolved without a lawsuit.
What Fees Will I Have to Pay to Hire O’Connor Law Group, P.C.?
We do not charge our clients any up-front fees. The California Lemon Law includes an attorney’s fees provision which allows us to collect our fees and court costs from the automobile manufacturer at the successful resolution of the claim.
Pursuing your California lemon law claim, therefore, is economically feasible, even if you weren’t in a position to hire an attorney. Moreover, our contingency fees would not be due until we recover settlement proceeds.
Can O’Connor Law Group, P.C. Help Me if I Live in a Rural Town Hundreds of Miles Away From the Nearest Major City?
Yes. We handle lemon law cases throughout California. If needed, we will travel to your local area at no cost to you. If it is necessary to file a lawsuit in your case, the matter will be filed and litigated in your local county or district court.